“I love being able to do something that helps our patients. They’ll tell me, ‘Thank you so much! I’m not in pain anymore!’ Dentistry is very expensive. Working here, we’re helping our community, and that is so pleasing to me. We’re helping our patients so much.”
Join Clinica’s Dental Assistant Training Program!
What is the dental assistant training program?
Clinica Family Health is pleased to announce that it is recruiting for its second round of dental assistant trainees. This program will allow individuals with no previous healthcare experience to receive paid, on-the-job training to learn the skills necessary to work as a dental assistant (DA) here at Clinica. Those accepted into this program will transition into a full-time, paid trainee position for approximately 12 weeks. During this training period, trainees will learn the skills needed to pass a competency assessment which will grant them a promotion into a traditional DA role at one of Clinica’s three dental clinics.
Why should you apply for Clinica’s DA trainee program? You can:
- Begin a clinical career path in 12 short weeks
- Graduate debt free
- Work alongside experienced DA peers
- Be eligible for career advancement opportunities
- Provide direct patient care
- Work with a team of dentists and other dental professionals
What does a dental assistant do?
Patient Preparation – Many patients come into the office apprehensive about their procedure or condition. As a dental assistant, you’ll prepare patients for oral examinations, create an atmosphere to put patients at ease, and record vital signs for each patient to ensure the highest standard of care.
Prepare Instruments and Rooms – Preparing instruments and rooms is also important. As a dental assistant, you’ll organize and maintain lab equipment, prepare rooms, instruments, and tray setups for procedures.
Assist with Procedures – Dental assistants also assist dentists in providing treatment, take, develop, and mount X-rays, place fillings in certain states, and even fabricate temporary restorations or custom impressions from preliminary impressions. Additionally, dental assistants play an integral role in assisting the dentist in the management of both medical and dental emergencies.
Expanded Functions – After spending several months in the profession, dental assistants are often able to apply sealants, polish teeth, and monitor specialized procedures. This gets you more involved with patients and enables you to make a difference firsthand.
Assist in Proper Patient Care – Dental assistants schedule and follow up with patients and provide oral hygiene instructions, establishing proper habits that will lead to long-term health.
What qualities are needed to be a successful candidate?
Willing to learn new skills in a new environment
Comfortable working in an environment where saliva and blood are visible (not for the squeamish)
Open to constructive feedback
Comfortable working with sharp instruments
Possessing a positive attitude
Handles stress when working in a fast-paced environment
Provides excellent patient service
Works well with others on a team
What is the application process?
Clinica is currently offering three full-time dental trainee positions. The Pecos, Lafayette and Thornton dental clinics will each accept one trainee. To apply for a position, click HERE and search “Dental Assistant Trainee” to apply at the location of your choice. The first round of trainees will begin early summer 2022.
Applications due by December 5th 2022
Cohort 2 will begin January of 2023.
Hear what it’s like to be a Clinica DA from someone who’s done it.
Roxanna Sanchez, Dental Assistant Team Manager
“I always enjoyed going to the dentist,” Roxanna said. “All the instrument interested me. I wanted to know what they were used for. That’s how I became interested in becoming a dental assistant.”
Roxanna first came to Clinica to complete an internship as part of her training. After seeing how Clinica operated, she wanted to come back.
“I love being able to do something that helps our patients,” she said. “They’ll tell me, ‘Thank you so much! I’m not in pain anymore!’ Dentistry is very expensive. Working here, we’re helping our community, and that is so pleasing to me. We’re helping our patients so much.”
Roxanna would encourage other dental assistants to consider working at Clinica. “You’ll be helping out your community. We work as a team so you not alone. The schedule is very flexible, and the staff is really just a big family.”
Learn More About the Dental Assistant Position
This job exists to: Performs those duties to assist the Dental Director, Dentists, and Hygienists in the care and treatment of patients. Performs reception, chair-side assisting, inventory and dental record duties.
ESSENTIALS DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assists the dentist and hygienists in chair-side procedures routinely done in a general and pediatric dental practice.
• Responsible for preparation and setting up of instruments, materials, and equipment necessary for each procedure.
• Responsible for the sterilization of instruments, and the cleaning and routine maintenance of equipment and work areas.
• Occasionally schedules patients, and accurately records information on patient records.
• Exhibits positive leadership skills, actively striving to improve the patient and staff experience of Clinica, as well as strong communication skills, including willingness to grow and develop skills in motivational interviewing.
• Assist in processing encounters.
• Identify related medical and/or social problems.
Assist in maintaining inventory of supplies and materials as well as maintaining thorough and accurate documentation of inventory.
Assists with the training of new Dental Assistants.
HOSPITAL RESPONSIBILITIES (If applicable):
• Assist the Dentist in dental surgical procedures.
• Review pre-operative and post-operative instructions with guardian.
• Document treatment and other notes in EDR.
• Responsible for the preparation and set up of the Operating Room.
• Maintain knowledge of supplies and inventory in the Dental Cart and storage room.
• Maintain knowledge and understanding of consent forms regarding surgical procedures.
• Review with patient and guardian as needed.
• Adhere to PPE operating room requirements.
• Comply with Children’s Hospital North Surgery Center and Clinica employee policies and procedures including, but not limited to (privileging and credentialing, handling equipment, sterilization, etc…).
• Adhere to Children’s Hospital North Surgery Center Radiation and Safety procedure. Follow correct operating procedure for NOMAD.
• Keep and maintain professional working relationship with staff from Children’s Hospital North Surgery Center.
Education / Experience
• HS diploma or GED
• Graduate from dental assistant school or certification require
• Previous experience desired, but not required
• X-ray certification required
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Sensitivity to low income, ethnic minority community
• Bilingual in Spanish
• An ability and willingness to learn and expand abilities.
• An ability to establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships with patients and coworkers. Ability to work in a team environment a must.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions
• Ability to prepare and maintain charts, records, logs, and reports.
WHAT WE OFFER:
⭐Competitive Vacation Time
⭐Flexible Spending Account
Approximately $15-$19 per hour. All individual pay rates are calculated based on the candidate’s experience and internal equity.
Clinica Family Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We prohibit unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees on the basis of age 40 and over, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other applicable status protected by federal, state, or local laws.